At The Cincinnati Eye Institute, we are honored to be a leading provider of comprehensive, state-of-the art eye and vision care to residents of Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and beyond. We take pride in the technologically advanced status of each of our surgery centers, in the expertise of our highly recognized surgeons, and in the dedication and compassion exhibited by each member of our team.
At every point in your patient journey with CEI, the focus of our entire staff will be your education, comfort, and care. We encourage you to use this page as a helpful resource designed to answer many of the questions you may have as you prepare for your procedure. Of course, should you desire additional information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Preparing for Your Surgery
Once you have completed your consultation and scheduled your surgery, you may have some questions about logistics and what to expect as you prepare for your procedure. Here, you’ll find information on insurance coverage and financing, how to get to your surgery appointment, and more. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us.
Insurance Coverage and Verification
At CEI, our administrative staff is always happy to help patients communicate with their insurance carriers and determine eligibility. Ultimately, however, patients are responsible for confirming and understanding all insurance benefits.
If you have questions about insurance coverage or out-of-pocket expenses you may incur, please contact us.
In cases where patients have high deductibles or plan to undergo an elective procedure not covered by insurance, it is our policy to collect payment prior to surgery. If this applies to you, a member of our staff will contact you in advance of your surgery appointment to explain your benefits and expenses and arrange payment.
When you receive your billing statement for services provided by CEI, charges will likely be broken down into categories:
- Clinic or Evaluation Fee: Clinic visits or services before or on the day of surgery may be billed separately from your surgical fee.
- Professional Fee: This category covers the cost of surgeon fees and post-operative care provided by CEI.
- Facility Fee: The facility fee includes operating room use, supplies, equipment, and personnel and is separate from the surgical fee.
- Anesthesia, Pharmacy, and Pathology Fees: These services are provided by a third party and are billed separately from the surgical fee.
To help our patients cover the cost of out-of-pocket expenses related to their surgery, we are pleased to offer a number of medical financing options. For more information, please visit our Financing page.
Before a patient undergoes surgery at one of our CEI surgery centers, it is necessary that he or she undergo a preoperative medical history evaluation and physical no more than 30 days prior to the procedure.
You are free to seek this examination from your primary care physician. To suit our patients’ convenience we also offer presurgical physicals performed by our in-house Nurse Practitioners, Christina Wilson, Sarah Morris and Nico Misleh.
To ensure the comfort and safety of patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of more than 45, surgical procedures may be performed at a partner hospital rather than a CEI surgery center.
Traveling to and From Surgery
It is CEI policy that patients undergoing any surgical procedure are not permitted to drive themselves home after their procedure. Prior to your surgery, please make arrangements for transportation. The person driving you to and from your surgery must remain in the waiting room during your procedure.
Many of our patients opt to get a ride from a friend or family member on the day of their procedures: in such cases, their companion will be welcomed into the post-op area to join the patient while listening to postoperative instructions.
Map & Visitor Guides
Do You Need an Interpreter?
If you would feel more comfortable attending your appointments at CEI in the company of an interpreter, please let us know and we will make appropriate arrangements for you.
During the week before your procedure, a member of the CEI team will call you to go over pre- and post-operative instructions in detail. If you have questions or require additional information, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Your Surgery Day
Part of the instructions you receive during your preoperative call will apply to steps you should take on the day of your procedure. For your convenience, here are some important reminders for surgery day:
- Fasting: You will be given specific fasting instructions during your preoperative call.
- Surgery Folder: When you schedule your surgery with CEI, you should receive a folder that contains specific information about your procedure and follow-up appointments. Please bring this folder with you on the day of your surgery.
- Payment: If you have a high deductible or are undergoing an elective procedure not covered by insurance, please be aware that payment is required prior to your procedure.
- Driver: You’ll need to arrange transportation to and from the surgery center on the day of your procedure. Please note that your driver must remain in the waiting room while you undergo your procedure.
At CEI, we believe patient education is immensely important for our patients’ comfort and to ensure the most favorable outcome of their treatment. If you have any questions, please contact CEI so that we can answer them.