All fellows split call evenly throughout the two years of fellowship training, with each fellow taking one week of call approximately every four weeks. Fellows take retina-only call for the CEI retina faculty. Non-CEI patients with possible retina-related conditions are first triaged by an after-hours answering service, then seen by the ophthalmologist on-call, and then discussed with the retina fellow as needed. With the daily urgent retina clinic (ROOTD), patients with retina-related concerns are able to be easily added to an upcoming ROOTD clinic rather than routinely seen after-hours. Dedicated OR time is made available for add-on cases during business hours, and very rarely, on weekends. On Saturday mornings, the on-call retina fellow sees all post-op patients from the prior day’s surgery by any retina faculty – typically between 5-20 patients. This clinic is fully staffed by technicians to assist the fellow and facilitate efficient clinic flow. Retina fellows also cover general ophthalmology trauma-call at UC as well as inpatient ophthalmology consults at several surrounding hospitals, though this call is always combined with the scheduled retina call. Fellows do not carry pagers, but are reachable by the phone triage nurses via Doc-Halo, a HIPAA-compliant smartphone application.
- James J Augsburger, MD – UC Ocular Oncology, Chairman emeritus, UC Department of Ophthalmology
- Zelia M Correa, MD PhD – UC Ocular Oncology
- Robert E. Foster, M.D. – Chairman, CEI Board of Directors
- Robert K. Hutchins, M.D. – CEI, UC
- Luke B. Lindsell, O.D., M.D. – CEI, UC
- Daniel M. Miller, M.D., Ph.D. – Chief Medical Officer, CEI
- James M. Osher, M.D. – CEI, UC, Cincinnati Childrens Hospital
- Michael R. Petersen, M.D., Ph.D. – Chairman emeritus, CEI Board of Directors
- Radhika Ramenaden, MD – VAMC
- Christopher D. Riemann, M.D. – Fellowship Director, CEI Board of Directors, UC
- Robert A. Sisk, M.D. – CEI, UC, Cincinnati Childrens Hospital
- Vrinda Hershberger, MD, PhD.: 7/2003 to 7/2004 – Florida Eye Care Associates, Orlando, FL.
- Sam Dahr, MD: 7/2005 – 7/2006 – Retina Center of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK.
- Nikolaos Trichopoulos, MD – 7/2006 – 7/2008 – Bay Pines VA Healthcare System Bay Pines, FL. (Tampa / St Pete)
- Matt Appenzeller, MD: 7/2008 – 7/2010 – Midwest Eye Center, Omaha, NE
- Ahmed El-Sanhouri, MD: 7/2009 – 7/2011 – Lansing Ophthalmology, Lansing, MI.
- Mario DelCid, MD: 7/2010 – 7/2012 – Retina Group of Florida, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Martin Wilkes, MD: 7/2011 – 7/2013 – Atlanta Eye Consultants, Atlanta, GA.
- Adeel Shaikh, MD: 7/2012 – 7/2014 – Houston Eye Associates, Houston, TX.
- Brian Toussaint, MD: 7/2013 – 7/2015 – Wilmington, DE.
- Matt Guess, MD: 7/2014 – 7/2016 – Alaska Retinal Consultants, Anchorage, AK.
- Cindy Mi, MD: 7/2015 – 7/2017 – Vitreoretinal Associates of Washington, Seattle, WA.